Monday, April 6, 2009

One Time Deal


This year, Dave and I had discussed things to do with our tax returns. Last month Emily invited me to a Jewelry party, and I attended it with her. While at the party, we were asked if we wanted to host a party ourselves, to help the hostess get more "rewards". I thought, what can it hurt, so I signed up for a party. I was surprised with how many people showed up for the party, and when all was said and done, the only one who bought anything was me. Mom and Heather wanted some jewelry, and Mom didn't have enough for what she wanted, so after discussing things with Dave, we paid for hers, mine and got Heather some at a discounted price.
Shamefully, with the jewelry we bought, it all totaled, after discounts and so called "Freebies" our total was $300. We found that we were heavily taxed on the "free" and discounted items. After the order was finalized and all was said and done, I sat down and figured out item by item how much we would have spent without any discounts and freebies, and we actually saved $500. We didn't spend our federal tax return on what we really wanted to, but we've decided that we're not buying ANY kind of jewelry for a long time.

No comments: