Sunday, January 18, 2009

The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.


As everyone knows, I've been watching Kaitlynn since she was 4-5 months old, and have formed a bond with her, and a friendship with at least her mother. From the time I began watching her, I've had issues with her father, sometimes both parents and have always been asked why I put up with it. For those of you who don't really understand why I continue to watch her, let me shine a little light on that subject for you.
Outside of her parents, I'm pretty much all Kaitlynn knows. I am her best friend, and she enjoys my company. Yes, I'm attatched to her, spend a few hours with her and you'll see why. I also know that at times I can be too attached, and sometimes forget that I'm not her mother, and I'm working on that. She calls me "Mom" and when she does, I correct her and tell her that Mom is at work. I'm helping her see that I am her friend Jess. When her parents are around, I step back and let them do things with her, if she wants me to do something for her and her mom and dad are there, I tell her to have mommy or daddy do it.
I continue to watch Kaitlynn because it gives me the satisfaction of doing something good for somebody. I am helping her mom potty train her, and we do good for the most part, and she helps me when I'm down by doing something stupid to make me laugh. Is it sad that a 2yr old understands me more than most people, or that I understand the 2yr old more than everyone else? Maybe it is, but I don't really care, Kaitlynn is a blessing in my life as well as in her parents lives. I look at her everyday and think of how we're suppose to be innocent like children. I can be a positive influence on Kaitlynn's life, and the lives of other children I come across, and if I can make a difference, then I'll have felt like I've accomplished something.

No comments: