Thursday, October 15, 2009

A WOW Moment




On Tuesday Kaitlyn
n came over to make cookies with me. The FIRST thing I did when we started, was explain to her that the Oven is really hot and that she couldn't touch it or she'd get burned really bad. She fully understood as each time I opened the oven door, or Layla came near to the oven, Kaitlynn would say "really hot". She did GREAT at following directions, and helping with the cookies.

On the second to the last batch, we were doing some editing on photos and I told her to peek into the oven and see if the cookies were done. I knew the timer hadn't go
ne off, but thought I would give her something to do. Two seconds or so later, I hear Kaitlynn holler "They're done". I got up, took the 10 steps it takes to get to the kitchen, and stopped in shock.The oven door was wide open, and Kaitlynn was standing in front of it.
As I approached the oven, I discovered the cookie sheet was sitting on the stove. Kaitlynn had opened the oven, grabbed the towel I was using as a hot pad, and pulled the cookies out herself, and placed them on the stove. She did not get burned, and was quite proud of herself for what she did. I put the cookies back in the oven to let them continue to bake, then took her aside and explained to her that she couldn't do that without an adult around to help.
I proceeded to tell her that it was ok, I was proud of her for not getting burned and trying to help, and not mad at her.
I then sent her mother a text message telling her what had happened, that I was shocked about it all and that it was all so fast. Part of me was proud of that little girl, this story is proof of how we need to be examples. When we don't know it, we're being watched, and others learn by example. I wasn't aware at how intently Kaitlynn was watching and learning what I was doing, until she did the unthinkable for a 3yr old, without being injured. Seriously, what 3yr old do you know, would think to take an extremely hot cookie sheet out of a oven at 375 degrees with a towel or oven mitt??? All I can say and have been saying since the incident is "WOW".




No comments: